Monday, March 23, 2020

Faith in God, Responsibility in Actions






 As we await confirmation that a common medication is the cure for the ChiCom flu, it's worthwhile to refelct on how western  man has dealt with plagues in the past.  Personally I was interested to see how Luther responded in his time.  His guidance remains appropriate, have Faith in God, and behave responsibly and in accord with the science available. 

From Whitehorse inn
 "Asked in a letter how to respond during the Plague, Martin Luther replied,

    "I shall ask God mercifully to protect us.  Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it.  I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence.  If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others.  If my neighbor needs me, however, I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above.  See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God." (1)

(1)  Luther’s Works 43:132"






https://www.whitehorseinn.org/2020/03/what-are-you-afraid-of/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: